Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Smithsonian


I have finally ventured out of my apartment! I decided to go downtown to my absolute favorite Smithsonian, and one I hope to work at one day. The National American History Smithsonian. Full of all things American from pop culture, wars, people, and presidents. It took me about an hour to get there. I left my apartment later than planned and after a 15 minute walk got onto the metro. From there it was maybe a 20 minute ride to the Smithsonian station. I then took a wrong turn out of the station and walked around the USDA building (an entire block) finally found my way to the Mall and found the building. By that time it was about 10:30am. I got a free map, and the woman asked me what I wanted to see. My answer: everything, and I did just that. I was in the Smithsonain until 6:30 ( a total of 8 hours) and I was exhausted afterwards! I completely fell even more in love with this new city that I lived in. I just love the fact that I can take a trip downtown and basically have a free day to wander around a museum for free!
Some of my favorite exhibits were of course Julia Child's Kitchen, The First Lady Exhibit, The American Presidency, and The Price of Freedom: Americans at War. But by far I think my favorite exhibit was For All The World To See: Visual Culture and the Struggle for Civil Rights. It combines two of my loves: history of the civil rights movement, and how media shaped and influenced it. That is what I love studying in addition to of course Women. I thought the easiest way to share my adventure was through some random pictures I took. I did see everything, but there are some items like the Civil Rights exhibit, and the Star Spangled Banner where for preservation reasons pictures are not allowed. Also I apposition for the quality of the pictures. I took them with the flash off (because I believe in conservation), and my camera died so I also used my phone.   Enjoy my favorite things at the Smithsonian. 

Lunch counter from Greensboro, N.C. where the first Civil Rights Movement sit-in occurred. 

Women factory workers during WWII

This is a shoe that a Chinese woman with bound feet would have worn. 

I thought it was funny that a van similar to what my family had when I was little is now in the Smithsonian.


Cartoon of the Scopes Monkey Trial. 

Atomic Fire balls, part of American after WWII and how the atomic bomb and plastics began to change and influence our lives. 

Modern 1950s kitchen, plastic is everywhere!

1950s living room.

The invention of "The Pill" I personally liked the header 

Julia's Kitchen 

Julia's copper pan wall!

Julia's cookbooks and videos

Another view of her kitchen. 

Me and Julia's Kitchen!


Vintage lace from the late 1700/1800s

A very blurry picture of one of Martha Washington's gowns. It still looks beautiful and pattern on the dress was actually hand painted! 

First Lady Michelle Obama's dress!

The Red Slippers! They are not as beautiful as they once were.

Fifinella! The WASPs mascot during WWII. 

Vietnam nurse

Vietnam nurse

Vietnam POW bracelets. People used to buy them, and each bracelet had a name of someone who was MIA/POW.

A piece of the World Trade Center from 9/11

Freedom of Americans to petition. Civil Rights Era

Vietnam War protesting poster.

March on Washington button. 

Votes for Women button. 

Hope you enjoyed this extremely long post about my recent adventure. More to come!
 .

No comments: